The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round
A retired school bus dubbed Matilda has been converted into a preschool classroom providing Nature Immersion for Children classes at Twelve Hills Nature Center, in Oak Cliff. This ongoing preschool program meets two mornings per week year round, may be adding more days in the fall and are enrolling now for summer and fall. Matilda also provides workshops and classes for elementary-age homeschool children at The Better Block, in Oak Cliff, for six Fridays between July 14 and August 18.
Children learn most through exploration of their environment. A multisensory environment, rich in sights, sounds and textures, both soothing and stimulating, nurtures a child’s creativity and sense of self-worth.
Seed Preschool achieves this environment by featuring:
- Holistic, self-directed, project-based learning
- A child and family-centered approach to early learning
- Multi-age groups: 3 to 6 years preschool and 6 to 9 years homeschool
- Teacher: child ratio of 1:5
- Small group size (maximum 10 children)
- Extensive outdoor exploration in all seasons
- Farming and gardening activities
- Yoga, movement and music activities
- Life skills such as knitting, cooking and woodworking
Children that appreciate nature will feel more connected to where their food comes from and to the world around them. It all starts with a seed. Today’s children spend far less time outdoors than generations before them. Green spaces are rapidly succumbing to urban and suburban development; Seed Preschool offers children a rare opportunity for nature immersion. Think of Matilda as a food truck that feeds the mind and spirit.
Jennifer Stuart is the director of Seed Preschool, meeting at Twelve Hills Nature Center, 817 Mary Cliff Rd., in Dallas. For pricing and more information, call 214-546-6214, email Matilda@SeedPreschool.org or visit SeedPreschool.org.