Landmark Market 70 Years Old
Aug 03, 2011 01:17PM
The Dallas Farmers’ Market has been a fixture in downtown Dallas as one of the largest public markets of its type in the country. For more than a century, farmers have been selling their fresh produce on the site, starting in the late 1800s, when farmers came to town to sell farm products from their wagons. A week of celebrations are planned from August 9 to 13, during National Farmers’ Markets Week.
Around 1900, the intersection of Pearl and Cadiz streets became the hub of a brisk wholesale business. There, large quantities of produce were sold, along with chickens, pigs, goats and eggs.
As Dallas grew, so did demand for farm-fresh produce and meat, and it became clear that a better-organized system was needed. In 1939, the site of the Dallas Farmers Market was formalized and the first shed established. The site, still located at 1010 S. Pearl Expressway,was officially sanctioned as a municipally owned and operated market in December 1941.
For more information call 214-670-5880 or visit DallasFarmersMarket.org.