Everything is Greener in Texas
Nov 30, 2011 02:45PM
Trammel S. Crow, Founder of Earth Day Dallas, has made it his business to build upon the fact that Texas hosts one of the biggest Earth Day festivals in the country. He’s done his homework, and here are a few of the Texas ecological milestones he uncovered.
• Austin’s Central Texas Airport was the first green airport in America.
• Austin’s Dell Children’s Medical Center was the first LEED Platinum hospital in the world.
• Fort Worth’s 8th Avenue Post Office was the first green post office in the country.
• Irving’s Lady Bird Johnson Middle School was the first Net Zero school in Texas. n The national Adopt-a-Highway program began in Texas.
• Texas produces and consumes the most electricity of any state.
• Texas produces the most wind power of any state.
• Dallas was the first city in the country to have a certified environmental management system.
• Dallas has the largest alternatively fueled fleet of all Texas cities, and is one of the largest in the country.
• Readers are welcome to discover and submit additional findings to Crow.
Contact: [email protected].